Last week it was story ideas, so this week I decided to share some drawing prompts that sound fun. Many of them would work for any medium. (I shared some more general art prompts in my post “Art Is Zero-Calorie Stress Relief.” )
- Ask someone to hold a 15 second pose and do a quick sketch.
- Go to a public place to draw people. Don’t be afraid to draw people in motion. Your picture may not look great. That’s okay.
- Set up a still life and put a bright light behind it. Move the light until the shadows look interesting. Draw the shadows.
- Draw something that makes you happy. Draw something that makes you sad.
- Draw something from a dream. Daydreams count.
- Draw something with an interesting texture. Focus on capturing the essence of the texture. Can you make your drawing look furry or smooth or scaly?
- Draw a cartoon.
- Illustrate a knock-knock joke or your favorite dad joke.
- Make a paper doll or a maze or a crossword puzzle or a word search and incorporate it into a larger picture.
- Draw a scene from your favorite story with characters from a different story.
- Pause a movie or tv show and draw what’s on the screen.
- Illustrate a question that you have.
- Draw your problems as a monster and then make the monster look silly.
- Draw your menu for the day. Post it on the fridge.
- Illustrate a family recipe.
- Illustrate a letter and send it to a friend or family member.
- Listen to music and draw your impressions.
- Close your eyes and draw a self portrait. Open your eyes and draw a portrait with your other hand. Now draw one with your feet.
- Draw pictures of what you see in the clouds.
- Draw something that you hope will happen someday.
Do you have any ideas to add? Have you tried any of these prompts? Did you have fun?